Table of Contents
Funding edged up slightly this past week and cybersecurity acquisitions are on a tear with Google's announcement to acquire Mandiant. This acquisition is a defining moment for cybersecurity firms and for the large FAANG players of the world.
Also for the first time, today's newsletter sponsor, SafeBase, is mentioned IN the newsletter for raising their Series A. 👏
This is obviously proof that once you sponsor this newsletter, the VC funding will come out of the woodwork. 😂📈💰🤝
- 11 companies raised $306.9M across 9 unique product categories
- 6 companies were acquired or had a merger event
🧩 By Product Category
- $200.0M for Attack Surface Management (ASM)
- $38.0M for Application Security
- $35.0M for Threat Intelligence
- $18.0M for Third-Party Security
- $10.9M for Data Protection
- $3.0M for Security Operations
- $1.7M for Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC)
- $300.0K for Software Supply Chain Security
- An undisclosed amount for Data Center Security
As a vendor, security assessments can be very time-consuming. Countless emails, questionnaires, and document requests create bottlenecks in the sales cycle.
In this webinar, Very Good Security CISO, Kathy Wang, and Mindbody Director of Cybersecurity Risk, Kristen Deuel, will share how they’ve leveraged SafeBase to share their security posture online, build customer trust with ongoing communication, and turn security into a sales enabler.
🏢 By Company
- Axonius, an attack surface management (ASM) platform, raised a $200.0M Series E.
- Cybersixgill, a cyber threat intelligence platform, raised a $35.0M Series B.
- Cider Security, a platform focused on security of software delivery pipelines (CI/CD), raised a $32.0M Series A.
- SafeBase, a platform helping companies present their security program to speed up the third-party security assessment process, raised an $18.0M Series A.
- Getvisibility, a data protection company helping financial services get insight into unstructured data, raised a $10.9M Series A.
- Cider Security, a platform focused on the security of software delivery pipelines (CI/CD), raised a $6.0M Series A.
- Cydarm, a collaborative incident response case management platform, raised a $3.0M Venture Round.
- AugmentedCISO, a chief information security officer (CISO)-as-a-Service company, raised a $1.7M Seed.
- Threatrix, an open-source vulnerability and software supply chain risk platform, raised a $300.0K Pre-Seed.
- QuintessenceLabs, a quantum encryption security company, raised an undisclosed Venture Round.
- Superna, a data center security company focused on disaster recovery and ransomware defense, raised an undisclosed Private Equity Round.
🤝 Mergers & Acquisitions
- Alert Logic, a managed security operations center (MSOC) platform, was acquired by HelpSystems.
- Ansec IA, a professional services company focusing on cybersecurity, was acquired by Outsource Solutions.
- Integra Networks, a managed security services provider (MSSP), was acquired by Plurilock for $940.0K.
- Mandiant, a professional services company focusing on cyber incident response and forensics, was acquired by Google for $5.4B.
- Threat Status, a platform for monitoring the dark web for leaked corporate user credentials, was acquired by Crossword Cybersecurity for $1.9M.
- vCORE Technology Partners, a managed security services provider (MSSP), was acquired by AHEAD.
🔐 Secure The Job
If you're looking to break into cybersecurity or advance your career, check out the job board on Pallet, with curated, highly relevant roles picked for you.
Each week I sift through all the noise on the Internet for the best cybersecurity jobs so you don't have to. On the board, you'll find roles spanning a variety of startups, cybersecurity product companies, banks, Fintechs, and more!
Sign up to be in my talent collective and get matched with high-growth companies looking for cybersecurity talent. The future of recruiting is in "talent drops" where companies compete to access the best people available through social collectives.
Take your job search and spin it on its head 🙃
Network with investors, founders, and the cyber startup community and apply to pitch live on stage for a shot at up to a $250K investment.
The 2022 Blu Cyber Summit, now in its fourth year, is a premier cybersecurity startup event on the East Coast. The event – which takes place on May 10-11 in North Bethesda, MD, just outside of Washington, DC – brings together startups, investors, CISOs, and cybersecurity professionals for the primary purpose of opening doors for the next deal, whether that be your next sale, your next fundraise, an exit, or anything in between.
As a partner of Blu Ventures, we are happy to provide our readers with a 10% discount code for the event, 'SecFun22'. P.S. I'll be there, so let's meetup!
You can learn more and get your tickets here: www.blucybersummit.com.
📚 Great Reads & Finds
- Making Sense of the Dirty Pipe Vulnerability (CVE-2022-0847) - On Monday 7th March, a vulnerability in the Linux Kernel was disclosed publicly which could allow an attacker to escalate privileges. The vulnerability discovered by Max Kellermann called “Dirty Pipe”.
- DevSecOps Playbook - This playbook will help you introduce effective DevSecOps practices in your company, regardless of size. Following this playbook will help teams build materially more secure applications, and that in the end, is the intent.
- Not everything needs to be an NFT - Daniel Miessler's take on why everything doesn't have to come with an NFT version.
🎉 Enjoying This Newsletter?
This is a cyberpunk and interior design newsletter now.
Don't 👏 invite 👏 me 👏 over 👏 unless 👏 your 👏 side 👏 tables 👏 look 👏 like 👏this 👏
A weekly recap of cybersecurity funding and M&A news.