💰 Security, Funded #40
The Security, Funded newsletter issue #40 - Cybersecurity funding and M&A news from the week of April 18th, 2022.
Table of Contents
I hope you had a great weekend!
We've got a lot of variation on product categories this week in the newsletter and more than a few of them made me go 🤔
You'll also start to notice more events on fraud and financial crimes as well as Web3 technologies, as there is a great convergence happening in these spaces with cybersecurity.
Let's dive in.
4 question survey: https://forms.gle/TemXaSqkuXc9c6gc7
- 15 companies raised $429.1M across 13 unique product categories
- 5 companies were acquired or had a merger event for $6.8M
🧩 By Product Category
- $125.0M for Threat & Vulnerability Management (TVM)
- $103.0M for Fraud & Financial Crime Protection
- $100.0M for Endpoint Protection
- $60.0M for Blockchain Security
- $25.3M for Data Protection
- $5.4M for Penetration Testing
- $5.0M for Security Data Lake (SDL)
- $2.7M for Threat Intelligence
- $2.4M for Secure Messaging
- $255.0K for Personal Cybersecurity
- An undisclosed amount for Secure Networking
- An undisclosed amount for Professional Services
- An undisclosed amount for Passwordless Authentication
Lacework is data-driven cloud security.
Our platform, powered by Polygraph®, automates cloud security at scale so our customers can innovate with speed and safety across AWS, Azure, GCP, and Kubernetes environments.
Schedule a meeting to start your cloud security journey today!
🏢 By Company
- Fortress Information Security, a threat and vulnerability management (TVM) platform, raised a $125.0M Series C from Goldman Sachs Asset Management.
- ThreatLocker, a platform that adds zero trust policy enforcement to the endpoint, raised a $100.0M Series C from General Atlantic.
- SEON, a fraud prevention platform, raised a $94.0M Series B from Institutional Venture Partners.
- CertiK, a blockchain security company, raised a $60.0M Series B from Tiger Global Management, SoftBank Vision Fund.
- Basis Theory, a data tokenization company, raised a $17.0M Series A from Bessemer Venture Partners and Conversion Capital.
- Themis, a governance and compliance platform for financial crimes, raised a $9.0M Venture Round from.
- Privy, an API platform for encrypting Web3 user data, raised a $3.8M Seed from Sequoia Capital.
- Strike, an automated and continuous pen testing platform, raised a $5.4M Seed from Greyhound Capital.
- Dassana, a cloud security data lake platform, raised a $5.0M Seed from Dell Technologies Capital.
- alphaMountain, a cyber threat intelligence platform, raised a $2.7M Seed from Prelude Fund.
- SpiderOak, a secure messaging and collaboration platform, raised a $2.4M Venture Round.
- Arbor Steel, a platform that lets individuals share their identity verification and Know Your Customer (KYC) information in a secure and auditable fashion, raised a $255.0K Pre-Seed.
- Authtech, a platform that uses your cell phone camera flash to authenticate mobile transactions, raised an undisclosed Seed.
- Synergy Quantum, a post-quantum encryption networking company, raised an undisclosed Seed.
- Xahive, a professional services firm focused on secure communications, raised an undisclosed Seed.
🤝 Mergers & Acquisitions
- Netbull, a professional services firm focused on incident response and operations, was acquired by ADACOM for $6.8M.
- Cyberian Technologies, a professional services firm focused on cybersecurity, was acquired by Meriplex for an undisclosed amount.
- Elevative Networks, a managed services provider (MSP), was acquired by Rimstorm for an undisclosed amount.
- Kognos, a cloud security operations platform, was acquired by Devo Technology for an undisclosed amount.
- SOC.OS, a security operations center as a service (SOCaaS) platform, was acquired by Sophos for an undisclosed amount.
🔐 Secure The Job
If you're looking for new opportunities (actively or passively), I've got two ways to help:
- Return on Security Job Board - Browse the jobs I curate each week and apply for what matches your interests.
- Return on Security Talent Collective - Join the talent collective to get personally matched with high-growth, high-upside opportunities. This is invite-only, curated by me, and you can set your profile to be public or anonymous.
Search firms, recruiters, and hiring managers - hire the best talent from the Return on Security community by signing up here.
📚 Great Reads & Finds
- MegaBlock - Don't like someone's tweet? Block the tweet, its author, and every single person who liked it - in one click.
- 6 Principles for Startup Security - A guide from Vanta on creating a pragmatic security program for startups. This guide will be helpful for cloud-native startups and those migrating workloads to the cloud.
- Maturing Your Toolkit with Mental Models - From Fernando Montenegro, maturing your cybersecurity program's toolkit with better mental models.
Some OpSec fails are totally worth it for the lulz
🎉 Enjoying This Newsletter?
- Share the newsletter with a friend or on social media
- Support independent publishing
- Check out the cybersecurity career advancement video course
Have questions, comments, or feedback about this issue? I'd love to hear from you.
Reach out on Twitter or reply directly to the newsletter version of this issue.
Thanks for reading!