💰 Security, Funded #44
The Security, Funded newsletter issue #44 - Cybersecurity funding and M&A news from the week of May 16th, 2022.
Table of Contents
I hope you had a great weekend!
An unusually low number in overall funds raised last week, but still an eventful week on the merger and acquisition front with one company alone making four (4) M&A events. 😳
Let's dive in.
- 12 companies raised $140.7M across 7 unique product categories
- 10 companies were acquired or had a merger event for $4.2B
🧩 By Product Category
- $44.7M for Data Protection
- $36.0M for Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) Security
- $32.2M for Cloud Security
- $12.5M for Fraud and Financial Crime Protection
- $8.3M for Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- $4.0M for Application Security
- $3.0M for Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP)
Lacework is data-driven cloud security.
Join our upcoming virtual session with Sprinklr – a unified customer experience management platform – to learn how Lacework helped them modernize their cloud security program by automating with speed and safety.
🏢 By Company
- Certora, a smart contract security platform, raised a $36.0M Series B from Jump Crypto.
- Seclore, a data classification and security platform, raised a $27.0M Series C from Origami Capital Partners.
- Pangea, an API platform for secure cloud infrastructure deployments, raised a $25.0M Series A from Ballistic Ventures and SYN Ventures.
- CertifID, a wire fraud protection and recovery service, raised a $12.5M Series A from Arthur Ventures.
- Dig Security, a cloud data detection and response platform, raised a $11.0M Seed from Team8.
- CipherMode Labs, a data protection platform using differential encryption, raised a $6.7M Seed from Innovation Endeavors.
- LimaCharlie, a security infrastructure as a service, raised a $6.4M Venture Round.
- GuardRails, an application security platform, raised a $4.0M Series A from Surge.
- Rencore, a cloud governance and compliance platform for the Microsoft stack, raised a $4.0M Series A from Capnamic Ventures.
- Cyscale, a cloud security platform, raised a $3.2M Seed from Notion Capital.
- BeMo, a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) focused on the Microsoft stack, raised a $3.0M Seed from Gula Tech Adventures.
- StackZone, a secure cloud management and deployment platform, raised a $1.9M Seed.
🤝 Mergers & Acquisitions
- ManTech, a professional services firm focused on cyber defense and intelligence, was acquired by The Carlyle Group for $4.2B.
- Appsian, a data security platform for Enterprise Resource Platforms (ERP) like SAP and Oracle, merged with Pathlock.
- Cloudkeyz, a cloud-based physical access management security company, was acquired by ButterflyMX for an undisclosed amount.
- CSI Tools, an access control and governance platform for SAP, was acquired by Pathlock for an undisclosed amount.
- Excellium Services, a professional services firm focused on incident response and penetration testing, was acquired by Thales Group for an undisclosed amount.
- LUCY Security, a security awareness and training company, was acquired by ThriveDX for an undisclosed amount.
- S21sec, a managed security services provider (MSSP), was acquired by Thales Group for an undisclosed amount.
- SAST SOLUTIONS, a professional services company focused on securing the SAP platform, was acquired by Pathlock for an undisclosed amount.
- SecurityWeaver, an identity and access management (IAM) governance platform, merged with Pathlock.
- SideChannel, a professional services firm focusing on cybersecurity for SMBs, was acquired by CipherLoc for an undisclosed amount.
🔐 Secure The Job
If you're looking for new opportunities (actively or passively), I've got two ways to help:
- Return on Security Job Board - Browse the jobs I curate each week and apply for what matches your interests.
- Return on Security Talent Collective - Join the talent collective to get personally matched with high-growth, high-upside opportunities. This is invite-only, curated by me, and you can set your profile to be public or anonymous.
Search firms, recruiters, and hiring managers - hire the best talent from the Return on Security community by signing up here.
📚 Great Reads & Finds
- Security Study Plan - A Practical Study Plan to become a successful cybersecurity engineer based on roles like Pentest, AppSec, Cloud Security, DevSecOps and so on with free/paid resources, tools and concepts to excel.
- Beginner’s Mind, Imposter Syndrome and Andrew Weatherall - The root word — imposter — is the problem. MW defines imposter as: “One that assumes false identity or title for the purpose of deception.” The root word reinforces a problem when the whole intent is to free people from it.
- Open Source Security Tools - A list of interesting open-source tools.
It's the little things like your full PAN and CVV that really make the difference 🥲
🎉 Enjoying This Newsletter?
- Share the newsletter with a friend or on social media
- Support independent publishing
- Check out the cybersecurity career advancement video course
Have questions, comments, or feedback about this issue? I'd love to hear from you.
Reach out on Twitter or reply directly to the newsletter version of this issue.
Thanks for reading!