Table of Contents
I hope you had a great weekend!
Today's issue is packed full of new funding and M&A events compared to the last few weeks. If you've been following this space for a while, it's probably no surprise that much of these events occur right before the RSA and Gartner conferences occurring this week.
I still expect many companies to save some events for this week, however, and we might see several companies come out of stealth mode as well. 🥷
To all the folks at the RSA Conference this week, be on the lookout for me because I've got Security, Funded Stickers with me.
Let's dive in.
- 17 companies raised $564.3M across 15 unique product categories
- 8 companies were acquired or had a merger event for $184.0M
🧩 By Product Category
- $100.0M for Security Analytics
- $100.0M for Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)
- $70.0M for Attack Surface Management (ASM)
- $50.0M for Software Supply Chain Security
- $40.0M for Security Awareness
- $40.0M for Internet of Things (IoT) Security
- $32.0M for Security Orchestration and Automated Response (SOAR)
- $30.0M for Secure Collaboration and Messaging
- $30.0M for Email Security
- $30.0M for Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- $15.5M for Passwordless Authentication
- $11.7M for Application Security
- $10.0M for Professional Services
- $4.0M for Personal Cybersecurity
- $1.1M for Managed Services Provider (MSP)
Protecting executive teams beyond the enterprise perimeter
Making the Case for Digital Identity Protection as an Enterprise Control - In this whitepaper, we explain the new types of digital identity risks that have recently emerged, with emphasis on the consequences of executives and key personnel becoming compromised.
🏢 By Company
- Devo, a cloud-native logging and security analytics platform, raised a $100.0M Series F from Eurazeo.
- Perimeter 81, a secure web gateway and service edge platform, raised a $100.0M Series C from B Capital Group.
- JupiterOne, an attack surface management platform, raised a $70.0M Series C from Tribe Capital.
- Chainguard, a software supply chain company, raised a $50.0M Series A from Sequoia Capital.
- Hoxhunt, a platform that teaches security awareness by way of simulated phishing attacks, raised a $40.0M Series B from Level Equity Management and Icebreaker.vc.
- Ordr, an Internet of Things (IoT) security platform, raised a $40.0M Series C from Battery Ventures and TenEleven Ventures.
- Laminar, a data loss prevention platform for public cloud services, raised a $30.0M Series A from Salesforce Ventures and Tiger Global Management.
- Reco, a secure messaging and collaboration platform, raised a $30.0M Series A from Zeev Ventures.
- Vade Secure, an email security platform, raised a $30.0M Venture Round from Tikehau Ace Capital, Bpifrance, and Auriga Partners.
- Seemplicity, a security orchestration and collaboration platform, raised a $26.0M Series A from Glilot Capital Partners.
- Incognia, a passwordless authentication and multi-factor authentication (MFA) platform, raised a $15.5M Series A from Point72 Ventures.
- Code Intelligence, an application security testing tool, raised a $11.7M Series A from Tola Capital.
- Surefire Cyber, a professional services company focused on incident response (IR) planning, tabletops, and investigations, raised a $10.0M Series A from ForgePoint Capital.
- Seemplicity, a security orchestration and collaboration platform, raised a $6.0M Seed from S Capital VC. (Yes, they raised two rounds!)
- DynaRisk, a personal cyber threat intelligence platform, raised a $4.0M Seed.
- Cybera, a not-for-profit focused on the development and operations of cyber infrastructure for Alberta, Canada, raised a $1.1M Grant from Alberta Innovates.
- 1Kosmos, a passwordless authentication and multi-factor authentication (MFA) platform, raised an undisclosed Seed from Gula Tech Adventures.
🤝 Mergers & Acquisitions
- Digital Shadows, a threat intelligence platform, was acquired by ReliaQuest for $160.0M.
- Logixx Security, a professional services firm that focuses on cyber and physical security, was acquired by SSC Security Services for $24.0M.
- Creatrix, an identity management platform that produces hardware authentication products, was acquired by Cerberus Sentinel for an undisclosed amount.
- LightPoint, a managed services provider (MSP), was acquired by Meriplex for an undisclosed amount.
- Netsurion, a managed security services provider (MSSP) focused on threat detection and secure edge access, was acquired by Acumera for an undisclosed amount.
- NewAE Technology, an embedded hardware security company, was acquired by lowRISC for an undisclosed amount.
- SaferPass, an identity and password manager platform, was acquired by Lookout for an undisclosed amount.
- Wootcloud, an Internet of Things (IoT) security company, was acquired by Netskope for an undisclosed amount.
🔐 Secure The Job
If you're looking for new opportunities (actively or passively), I've got two ways to help:
- Return on Security Job Board - Browse the jobs I curate each week and apply for what matches your interests.
- Return on Security Talent Collective - Join the talent collective to get personally matched with high-growth, high-upside opportunities. This is invite-only, curated by me, and you can set your profile to be public or anonymous.
Search firms, recruiters, and hiring managers - hire the best talent from the Return on Security community by signing up here.
📚 Great Reads & Finds
- Building a Data Perimeter on AWS - Many organizations want to implement perimeter controls to help protect against unintended access and configuration errors through always-on guardrails. This paper outlines the best practices and available services for creating a perimeter around your identities, resources, and networks in AWS.
- What IS A vCISO??? - With all the hype on social media about becoming a vCISO, here's an account of what a vCISO is and what kind of work they do from someone who actively lives it.
- Starting a Cybersecurity Consulting Business is Easy - A blog post on the challenges I faced when I started my first vCISO cybersecurity consulting business and how I overcame them.
This isn't the hero we need, it's the hero we deserve.
🎉 Enjoying This Newsletter?
Have questions, comments, or feedback about this issue? I'd love to hear from you.
Reach out on Twitter or reply directly to the newsletter version of this issue.
Thanks for reading!