💰 Security, Funded #53 - Securing the blockchains, sneaky stickers, and when to draw the line.
The Security, Funded newsletter issue #53 - Global cybersecurity funding and M&A news from the week of July 18th, 2022.
Table of Contents
I hope you had a great weekend!
There's a big bet about to happen in the crypto/Web3 world that's been a long time coming - seriously implementing security.
With all the high profile breaches, the cybersecurity world and Web3 world are finally getting on a (positive) collision path. With DEF CON and BlackHat right around the corner, expect this area to continue to evolve.
Let's dive in.
- 9 companies raised $235.3M across 7 unique product categories
- 6 companies was acquired or had a merger event for $22.0M
🧩 By Product Category
- $90.0M for Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) Security
- $74.0M for Operational Technology (OT) Security
- $31.5M for Data Protection
- $25.0M for Security Operations
- $6.0M for Machine Learning (ML) Security
- $4.8M for Physical Security
- $4.0M for SaaS Security
Meet us at the Vendor area or photobooth!
Miscreants is debuting our “Internet Friends” merchandise at DEF CON 30 in the Vendor area. We’ll also be operating a photobooth in the Contest area. Come say hello! If you mention this newsletter, we’ll even sneak you some stickers!
See the lookbook here.
🏢 By Company
- Halborn, an ethical hacking platform for blockchain and smart contract applications, raised a $90.0M Series A from Summit Partners. (more)
- Luoan Technology, an industrial control systems (ICS) security platform, raised a $74.0M Series C from China Unicom Innovation Fund.
- Anvilogic, a company providing a collaborative SOC content platform for enterprises, raised a $25.0M Series B from Outpost Ventures. (more)
- AppViewX, a certificate lifecycle management platform, raised a $20.0M Series B from Brighton Park Capital. (more)
- Sotero, a cloud data protection company, raised a $8.0M Seed from OurCrowd. (more)
- HiddenLayer, a platform protecting against adversarial machine learning (AML) attacks, raised a $6.0M Seed from TenEleven Ventures and Secure Octane. (more)
- Zinc Systems, a physical and cyber incident management platform, raised a $4.8M Venture Round from Maven Capital Partners. (more)
- Push Security, a SaaS security platform, raised a $4.0M Seed from Decibel Partners. (more)
- Strac, a sensitive data redaction platform, raised a $3.5M Seed from FUSE. (more)
🤝 Mergers & Acquisitions
- Curricula, a security awareness and training company, was acquired by Huntress for $22.0M. (more)
- Altitude Integrations, a professional IT and cybersecurity services firm, was acquired by Xceptional for an undisclosed amount. (more)
- Crowe MDR, the managed detection and response (MDR) business of Crowe LLP, a public accounting and consulting firm, was acquired by AgileBlue for an undisclosed amount. (more)
- CyberGuard Compliance, a professional services company, was acquired by Atlantic Street Capital for an undisclosed amount. (more)
- Elite Consulting Solutions (no link), a professional IT and cybersecurity services firm, was acquired by Atlantic Street Capital for an undisclosed amount. (more)
- JTSEC, a professional IT and cybersecurity services firm, was acquired by Applus for an undisclosed amount. (more)
🔐 Secure The Job
If you're looking for new opportunities (actively or passively), I've got two ways to help:
- Return on Security Job Board - Browse the jobs I curate each week and apply for what matches your interests.
- Return on Security Talent Collective - Apply to join the talent collective to get personally matched with high-growth, high-upside opportunities.
Are you currently hiring or looking to hire soon? Post standard jobs for FREE or upgrade to a Featured tier to really stand out and hire the best talent from the Return on Security community.
📚 Great Reads & Finds
- Yet Another New Mac Setup Script (YANMSS) - Here's my (mostly) automated setup script for a new Mac to install some of my most used command line tools and programs.
- Key US Senators Introduce Crypto Bill - A wide-reaching, bipartisan crypto bill emerged from U.S. Sens. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), who are seeking to extend a comprehensive set of regulations across digital assets in the U.S. and have given industry lobbyists something meaty to debate.
- Container Security Considerations: Security Best Practices and Common Threats - Understand container security challenges and learn about critical container security best practices, such as securing images, registries, etc.
You can see the full list of curated posts across all issues here, and you can submit an article, post, tweet, or video here and it can show up in the newsletter!
Idk about you, but I draw the line here.
🎉 Enjoying This Newsletter?
Have questions, comments, or feedback about this issue? I'd love to hear from you.
Reach out on Twitter or reply directly to the newsletter version of this issue.
Thanks for reading!