Security, Funded - February 2022 Roll-Up
This is the eigth issue of the Pro Reports roll-up series for the Security, Funded newsletter and the second of 2022. As a Pro Member, you get access to additional analysis from the free newsletter with additional insights.
Table of Contents
This is the eigth issue of the Pro Reports roll-up series for the Security, Funded newsletter and the second of 2022. As a Pro Member, you get access to additional analysis from the free newsletter with additional insights from me.
Let's dive in.
- 51 cybersecurity companies in 28 unique product categories raised $2.4B in February 2022 (up from $1.79B in January 2022)
Most funding again did not favor a specific industry, but there was an interesting uptick in the space & satellite, and military & defense industries.
This diversified spending may have a lot to do with the Ukraine and Russia conflict, but I would expect a heavier momentum going into the March and April timeframes in industries that cross the physical and cyber divide.
- $1.95B for No Industry
- $162.0M for Internet
- $50.0M for Military & Defense
- $40.0M for Communications
- Securonix, a security analytics and operations management platform, raised a $1.0B Private Equity Round.
- BlueVoyant, a manages security services provider (MSSP) focused on cyber threat intelligence and cyber forensics, raised a $250.0M Series D.
- IronNet Cybersecurity, a network detection and response (NDR) platform, raised a $175.0M Post-IPO Equity.
- CHEQ, an anti-bot and machine identity protection platform, raised a $150.0M Series C.
- Salt Security, an API protection platform, raised a $140.0M Series D.
- Beyond Identity, a passwordless authentication platform, raised a $100.0M Series C.
- Balbix, a cloud security operations and threat intelligence platform, raised a $70.0M Series C.
- Secureframe, a continuous compliance platform, raised a $56.0M Series B.
- Red Sift, an anti-phishing platform that focuses on domain, DMARC, and brand protection, raised a $54.0M Series B.
- Shift5, an intrusion detection, prevention, and incident response platform for operational technology (OT), raised a $50.0M Series B.
- Allot Communications, a secure networking and network intelligence platform using deep packet inspection (DPI), raised a $40.0M Post-IPO Equity.
- Phosphorus, an Internet of Things (IoT) security platform, raised a $38.0M Series A.
- Anecdotes, a continuous compliance platform focused on startups and hyper-growth companies, raised a $25.0M Series A.
- Vicarius, an vulnerability prioritization and remediation platform, raised a $24.0M Series A.
- Zero Networks, an zero-trust and network segmentation platform that focuses on automated deployments, raised a $20.3M Series A.
- Bright Security, an API security testing platform, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- Scope Security, a managed detection and response (MDR) platform for hospitals, clinics, and large provider systems, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- CardinalOps, a platform focused on identifying cloud infrastructure threats and providing pre-engineered mitigations, raised a $17.5M Series A.
- Calamu, anti-ransomware platform focused on data sharding and encryption, raised a $16.5M Series A.
- Astrix Security, an access management platform for third-party applications and integrations, raised a $15.0M Seed.
- Picnic Corporation, a company focused on combating social engineering by limiting employee data exposure, raised a $14.0M Seed.
- Netacea, an anti-bot platform to protect websites, mobile apps and APIs from automated threats, raised a $12.0M Series A.
- VISO Trust, a SaaS-based vendor security due diligence platform, raised a $11.0M Series A.
- Cyble, an AI-powered platform for darkweb and cybercrime monitoring, raised a $10.0M Seed.
- Suridata, a data-centric SaaS security posture management platform, raised a $9.0M Seed.
- IndyKite, a cloud identity platform built to secure and manage human & non-person (IoT) identities, raised a $8.0M Seed.
- Allure, an anti-phishing solution, raised a $6.8M Seed.
- Canonic Security, a SaaS application governance and enforcement platform, raised a $6.0M Seed.
- Titaniam, an anti-ransomware platform focused on unstructured data encryption and availability, raised a $6.0M Seed.
- CybExer Technologies, a joint venture professional services firm focusing on cybersecurity, raised a $5.7M Venture Round.
- DeepSurface Security, a vulnerability and threat prioritization platform, raised a $4.5M Seed.
- Cyber Sierra, a managed security services provider (MSSP) focusing on cyber governance and posture management, raised a $4.3M Seed.
- SecureThings, a cybersecurity monitoring platform for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs), raised a $3.5M Seed.
- LivEye, a physical security monitoring company leveraging mobile surveillance technology, raised a $3.3M Series D.
- PhishFirewall, a security awareness and threat emulation platform focused on reducing phishing, raised a $2.5M Seed.
- watchTowr, a breach and attack surface (BAS) platform using automated and continuous testing, raised a $2.3M Seed.
- Gesund, a machine learning (ML) platform for sharing medical data in a privacy-preserving format, raised a $2.0M Seed.
- Brandefense, a cyber threat intelligence and brand monitoring service, raised a $600.0K Seed.
- Privacy Tools, a privacy compliance platform that helps companies stay in line with global privacy regulations, raised a $384.0K Venture Round.
- Nymiz, a privacy platform focusing on GDPR compliance, raised a $238.0K Pre-Seed.
- Teach Cyber, a non-profit focused on educating high schools about cybersecurity, raised a $200.0K Grant.
- SecurEd, a not-for-profit focused on educating the next generation of the cybersecurity workforce in K-20 schools, raised a $150.0K Grant.
- ControlMap, a continuous compliance platform, raised an undisclosed Seed.
- HacWare, an email security awareness platform leveraging AI, raised an undisclosed Seed.
- Dmails, a decentralized email service focused on privacy preservation, raised an undisclosed Venture Round.
- Kryptowire, a mobile device management (MDM) platform focused on vulnerability management, raised an undisclosed Venture Round.
- Privasee, a privacy platform focusing on GDPR compliance, raised an undisclosed Pre-Seed.
- Sedicii, a privacy consent platform that allows customers to expressly consent to their data being shared, raised an undisclosed Seed.
- XMIRROR, a professional services firm focused on DevSecOps, application security testing, and pen testing, raised an undisclosed Series B.
- Lightspeed Systems, a web filtering, mobile device management, and device monitoring provider for K-12 schools, raised an undisclosed Private Equity Round.
The Security Analytics category blew the rest of the funding space out of the water this month, with the Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) category making significant ground.
- $1.0B for Security Analytics
- $254.3M for Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP)
- $175.0M for Network Detection and Response (NDR)
- $162.0M for Anti-Bot
- $160.0M for API Security
The top 5 lead investors or investor teams.
- $1.0B from Vista Equity Partners, Eight Roads Ventures, Volition Capital
- $250.0M from Liberty Strategic Capital
- $175.0M from Tumim Stone Capital
- $150.0M from Tiger Global Management
- $140.0M from CapitalG
The most acquired product categories this month.
Professional Services and Managed Services Provider (MSP) companies still lead, just like last month.
Of the deals that had public pricing data, there was a total spend of $565.0M.
The companies that I'm the most excited about this month and the ones I think have the most potential to disrupt or take a big market share (in no particular order):
Let me know what else you want to see in these reports and what other insights you're looking for.