Security, Funded - October 2021 Roll-up
The October 2021 roll-up of the "Security, Funded" newsletter from Return on Security.
Table of Contents
This is the fourth issue of the Pro Reports roll-up series for the Security, Funded newsletter. I adjust this content often based on feedback, so if you see something you like or you feel something is missing, just let me know.
Let's dive in.
- 58 companies raised $2.9B (⬆️ from $2.4B in September)
Most funding again did not favor a specific industry, but growth in critical infrastructure and autonomous vehicles continues month-over-month. I would expect a continued rise in the ICS/CAVs space.
- $2.7B was industry agnostic (⬆️ from $1.9B in September)
- $202.4M for Industrial Control Systems
- $20.0M for Military & Defense
- $8.0M for Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAVs)
- $5.6M for Social Networks
Software Security, Cloud Security, and Security Analytics lead the way in funding this month.
I predict in the next 6-12 months we will see a substantial increase in spending in the Privacy category.
- $628.1M for Application Security
- $396.3M for Cloud Security
- $292.0M for Security Analytics
- $250.0M for Cloud Security Posture Management
- $233.4M for Data Protection
- $225.0M for IoT Security
- $222.0M for Threat Intelligence
- $118.5M for Identity and Access Management
- $90.0M for Managed Services Provider (MSP)
- $60.8M for Privacy
- $60.0M for Data Governance
- $51.2M for Cybersecurity Consulting
- $50.0M for Endpoint Detection and Response
- $40.0M for Network Security
- $30.0M for Physical Security
- $30.0M for Breach & Attack Simulation
- $20.0M for Operational Technology (OT) Security
- $20.0M for Cyber Insurance
- $19.5M for Cloud Management Platform
- $16.6M for AI Security
- $8.9M for Security Awareness
- $8.0M for Connected and Autonomous Vehicle Security (CAVS)
- $7.0M for Third-Party Security
- $5.6M for Social Network Security
- $5.3M for Supply Chain Security
- $3.3M for Attack Surface Management
- $840.0K for Deception Technology
- An undisclosed amount for Firmware Security
- An undisclosed amount for Anti-Phishing
By Lead Investor
The top 5 lead investors or investor teams.
- Summit Partners - $625,000,000.00
- TCV - $250,000,000.00
- Greenoaks Capital- $250,000,000.00
- Madrone Capital Partners - $200,000,000.00
- Lightspeed Venture Partners - $200,000,000.00
The companies that I'm the most excited about this month and the ones I think have the most potential to disrupt or take a big market share.