Security, Funded - September 2021 Roll-up
The September 2021 roll-up of the "Security, Funded" newsletter from Return on Security.
Table of Contents
This is the third issue of the Pro Reports roll-up series for the Security, Funded newsletter.
Let's dive in.
- 42 companies raised $2.4B (⬆️ from $680.9M in August 2021)
Most funding again did not favor a specific industry, but growth in critical infrastructure and autonomous vehicles continues to climb month-over-month.
- $1.9B was Industry Agnostic ( ⬆️ from $444.0M in August 2021)
- $333.0M for Insurance (⬆️ from $17.0M in August 2021)
- $20.0M for Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAVs) (⬇️ from $62.0M in August 2021)
- $7.0M for Critical Infrastructure and Energy (⬇️ from $30.0M in August 2021)
Software Security, Identity and Access Management (IAM), and Cyber Insurance lead the way in funding this month.
- $635.0M for Software Security
- $343.0M for Identity and Access Management
- $333.0M for Cyber Insurance
- $250.0M for Third-Party Risk
- $230.1M for Cloud Security
- $120.0M for Data Protection
- $82.6M for Privacy
- $80.0M for Zero Trust
- $75.0M for Network Security
- $62.5M for Third-Party Security
- $27.0M for Threat Detection
- $27.0M for IoT Security
- $20.0M for Connected Vehicle Security
- $17.0M for Security Awareness
- $15.0M for Internet Security
- $12.4M for Threat Intelligence
- $8.1M for Firmware Security
- $8.0M for Continuous Compliance
- $5.0M for Confidential Computing
- $4.1M for Governance Risk and Compliance
- An undisclosed amount for Cybersecurity Education
By Lead Investor
The top 5 lead investors or investor teams.
- $530.0M - Sands Capital, Tiger Global Management
- $250.0M - Moody's Investors Service
- $205.0M - Durable Capital Partners
- $200.0M - TCV
- $159.0M - Sapphire Ventures
The companies that I'm the most excited about this month and the ones I think have the most potential to disrupt or take a big market share.
- Snyk, a developer security platform for securing code, raised $605.0M in two different Series F rounds.
- BitSight, a platform that rates companies' security programs and effectiveness, raised a $250.0M Venture Round.
- Coalition, a cyber insurance company, raised a $205.0M Series E.
- Aviatrix, a multi-cloud network platform that provides security and operational visibility, raised a $200.0M Series E.
- JumpCloud, a cloud directory platform that unifies disparate IT resources at companies, raised a $159.0M Series F.
- Saviynt, an intelligent identity and access governance solution for cloud applications, raised a $130.0M Private Equity.
- Envelop Risk, a global specialty cyber and emerging risk underwriting firm, raised a $128.0M Series B.
- Corelight, a network traffic analysis (NTA) platform, raised a $75.0M Series D.
- Rewind, a backup solution for SaaS data, raised a $65.0M Series B.
- StrongDM, an infrastructure access and auditing platform, raised a $54.0M Series B.
- Datacloak, a zero trust data security platform, raised a $50.0M Series B.
- Panorays, a platform that automates the third-party security process, raised a $42.0M Series B.
- Tonic, a platform that mimics production data to create de-identified data for QA, testing, and development, raised a $35.0M Series B.
- TrueFort, a zero trust cloud application workload security platform, raised a $30.0M Series B.
- Rezilion, an autonomous cloud workload protection platform, raised a $30.0M Series A.
- Sternum, an endpoint security solution for IoT devices, raised a $27.0M Series B.
- Relyance AI, a privacy and data governance solution allowing for collaboration of data protection and compliance efforts, raised a $5.0M Seed and $25.0M Series A.
- SecZetta, a provider of third-party identity risk services, raised a $20.5M Series B.
- Stairwell, a cybersecurity company that offers a platform for threat hunting, detection, and response, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- SenseOn, a self-driving cyber defense platform, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- Satori Cyber, a continuous visibility and mapping platform for data flows and data stores, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- Ketch, a data control platform that manages compliance with privacy regulations, raised a $20.0M Series A.
- Kolide, a user-focused endpoint security platform for teams that Slack, raised a $17.0M Series B.
- Borneo, a real-time data security and privacy observability platform for security practitioners, raised a $15.5M Series A.
- DeepFactor, a platform for observing application telemetry events for shipping secure code, raised a $15.0M Series A.
- Cloudsmith, a continuous AppSec observability platform, raised a $15.0M Series A.
- Osano, a data privacy platform that instantly helps a website become compliant with laws such as GDPR and CCP, raised an $11.0M Series A.
- S2W, a company specializing in cybersecurity data analysis for cyber threat intelligence, raised a $10.0M Series B.
- Exein, a firmware-focused cybersecurity startup, raised an $8.1M Series A.
- Strike Graph, a compliance SaaS solution simplifying security certifications such as SOC 2 Type I/II, raised an $8.0M Series A.
- Cynamics, a network monitoring solution built for smart city and critical infrastructure networks, raised a $7.0M Venture Round.
- Profian, a confidential computing platform focused on bespoke open source solutions, raised a $5.0M Seed.
- Hicomply, a governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) platform helping companies manage security and data privacy programs, raised a $4.1M Venture Round.
- Private AI, a privacy-preserving machine learning and natural language processing tools for GDPR compliance, raised a $3.2M Seed.
- Dataships, a data privacy software and services company, specializing in automating GDPR and CCPA compliance, raised a $2.9M Seed.
- 4Securitas, a platform focused on stopping cyber threats at the pre-attack phase, raised a $2.4M Seed.
- Oatfin, a cloud infrastructure automation and cloud security platform, raised a $100.0K Pre-Seed.
- YUANBAO TECH, a network security company, raised an undisclosed amount on a Series B round.
- Intel 471, a cybersecurity and cybercrime threat intelligence platform, raised an undisclosed amount on a Private Equity round.
- Inpher.io, a secret computing technology for privacy-preserving machine learning and AI, raised an undisclosed amount Venture Round.
- EC-Council, an education organization specializing in cybersecurity certifications, raised an undisclosed amount Private Equity.